This course is a study of the methodology of Scriptural interpretation with special emphasis on the role of context in the study and interpretation of Biblical content.
||3-4 hours per week
||DVD, Internet, Distance Learning
The Bible may be referred to as the ultimate guidebook. It offers guidance in virtually every area of life. Whether one is interested in marriage and home, career and business, personal development and individual relationships, or spiritual living and eternal destiny, the Bible presents a clear path for one to follow. Through its teachings, proverbs, and anecdotes, one can find wisdom
for the journey and models for successful living.
Rightly Dividing the Word deals with the importance of discovering the spiritual truths set forth in Scripture and applying them to one’s daily life. Just as important as reading the Bible, is the skill of properly interpreting its meaning. Through word studies and various methodologies, Rightly Dividing the Word guides the reader in ways to understand the true meaning of various Biblical passages. It also emphasizes the authority of the Word and the believer’s need to treat it with respect.
After completing this course, students will be able to…
- Discuss the authority, integrity, and relevance of the Bible to today’s society.
- Define Biblical hermeneutics, as well as describe the methodology of Scriptural interpretation.
- Utilize contextual interpretation of Biblical content, as well as lexical-syntactical analysis.
- Identify and describe prophetic reinterpretations and New Testament interpretations of the Old Testament.
- Identify the special literary methods found in the Bible.
- Know how to read the Bible from within our traditions.
- Discuss how Pentecostals read the Bible theologically.
- The Authority of the Bible
- Introduction to Bible Hermeneutics: Part 1
- Introduction to Bible Hermeneutics: Part 2
- The History of Biblical Interpretation
- Examples of Prophetic Reinterpretations
- New Testament Interpretations of the Old Testament
- Premodern Through Postmodern Interpretation
- Step-by-Step Interpretation of Scripture
- Inductive Bible Study: Part 1
- Inductive Bible Study: Part 2
- Special Literary Methods: Part 1
- Special Literary Methods: Part 1 (Continued)
- Special Literary Methods: Part 1, Part 2
- Lexical-Syntactical Analysis: Part 1
- Lexical-Syntactical Analysis: Part 2
- Lexical-Syntactical Analysis: Part 3
- Lexical-Syntactical Analysis: Part 4
- Contextual Analysis: The Legitimacy and the Pitfalls of Historical-Cultural Investigation
- The Ideological World of the Bible: Judaism
- The Ideological World of the Bible: The Bible and Other Cultures
- Historical-Cultural and Contextual Analysis: 1 Corinthians
- Theology and Hermeneutics: The Issue of Inspiration
- Theological Interpretation in Context: Reading the Bible From Within Our Traditions
- Pentecostal Hermeneutics: Part 1
- Pentecostal Hermeneutics: Part 2
- The Integrity of the Bible
- The Pertinence of the Bible
Video Lesson 1: The Authority of the Bible